Hardwood Floor Cleaners And Maintaining Them Properly
BY JOHN KOLBASKA, OWNER
Hardwood floors are beautiful and durable, but they also come with their fair share of responsibility, too. In order to maintain their luster and shine over many years, it’s important to take good care of your hardwood floors.
When cleaning your hardwood floors with the proper wood floor cleaner, here is what you can expect:
- Renewed shine
- Removal of dirt and contaminants
- Reinforcement of its protective outer layers
- Extended life for your floors
Not all floor cleaners are created equal. Use the wrong cleaner and you’ll quickly find your floor has lost it’s luster no matter how well you keep them. Adding to the problem is that many cleaning product manufacturers will state their product is safe to clean hardwood floors when the opposite is the true.
Check the labels:
Any cleaner that contains oils, wax or acids will either dull your finish or cause an unsightly haze to appear over time and you’d be surprised how common they are used in homes with wood floors. Many people are ruining the finish on their floors without even realizing it. The most common offenders we’ve seen are:
- Murphys Oil Soap
- Pledge Polish
- Orange Glow
- Swiffer Cleaning Pads
- White Vinegar
- Floor Wax
What should you use?
The answer isn’t so simple. If you have a prefinished floor it’s important to use the cleaning product that the manufacturer recommends. If you’re unsure of the manufacturer or type of finish we recommend using one of the following two items that are safe for all floors:
- Bona-Kemi Hardwood Floor Cleaner
- Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Remember, though hardwood floors are often more durable than other flooring types, foot traffic can still take its toll. Having your hardwood floors professionally refinished can help restore them when cleaning them isn’t enough. However in between finishing’s you’ll still want to do what you can to ensure they enjoy a long lifespan. Knowing how to clean hardwood floors is only one part of that. Here are some tips to help you
- Sweep areas as needed
- Use a soft bristle broom
- Never use a vacuum on wood floors
- USE THE RIGHT CLEANER (see above)
- Keep your pet’s nails trimmed
- LIFT your furniture when you move it; don’t slide or drag it
- Place furniture felt pads underneath all tables, chairs and couches
- Immediately soak up any water or spills
- Place rubber mats in entrance doorways
- Pay close attention to high traffic areas
- Avoid vinegar-based cleaning solutions; they wear down your floor’s shine
- Avoid extreme fluctuations in humidity
- Do not wear high heels
What if cleaning isn’t enough?
Refinishing will be needed. Luckily for you we know how to renew hardwood floors! Gorgeous floors that will look like new are just a quick call away! An in-person consultation is all it takes to assess your needs and determine what is best for your floors.
Plus: 12 MONTHS NO INTEREST,
NO MONEY DOWN & NO PAYMENTS
Offer Ends 1/31/20 – Act Now!
- Showroom Locations -
THE MEN WITH TOOLS